Ever since we have been together, Ashley and I have always had a motto of, “We will figure it out” and we always do. In my previous posts, I may have alluded to her badass-ness but it was never more apparent than it was today. After carrying our baby for the last 9 months, Maxwell Dwain Houston was born and we could not be happier. In the end, it wasn’t at all what we expected due to a last-minute change, but in true fashion, “We figured it out” 🙂
- Welcome baby Maxwell Dwain Houston
- Born: December 26th 2020 @ 1:35
- Weight: 8lbs 3.3 Ounces
- Length: 21 inches
Last night at around 7PM, Ashley started feeling contractions coming on, and after timing them for an hour, the app we were using told us it was time. Now leading up to this point you think you are ready, the car seat is in the car, the bag is packed, but you inevitably forget something. I don’t think anything prepares you for knowing when the right time is, especially when it is your first pregnancy. As we went out the door we were met with the worst road conditions of the year. To put it into perspective, a trip to Wooster hospital that would normally take about 40 minutes ended up taking well over an hour. believe our max speed was about 35 mph throughout the entire trip. Ashley was a trooper, never complaining, never stopping, just focused on bringing a healthy baby into the world. (Before the tax cutoff I might add)
In the intro, I mentioned that this delivery wasn’t what we had in mind, and by that it meant that I would not be there for the labor and delivery. Early this week I tested positive for Covid and there was no way I was getting into that hospital room. We had to come up with a plan B. This plan B consisted of me being on Facetime while the baby was being born, and Ashley activating her best friend to step in and help get us through the delivery.
I want to give a HUGE shout out to our friend Candice for stepping in and being by Ashleys side the entire way and feeding me information so that I could keep friends and family informed. You were an amazing help and you kept the rest of the family at ease as Ashley helped bring our son into the world. We cannot thank you enough.
Around 1 PM, the awesome staff at the Wooster hospital prepped Ashley and she pushed like a trooper and at around 1:35, a hairy, beautiful, little baby was welcomed into the world. Weighing in at 8lbs 3.3 ounces and measuring 21 inches, our little guy is absolutely perfect in every way.
Some Key Takeaways
- Download a contraction timing app, this was super helpful
- Add snacks to your hospital bag, momma gets hungry after pushing out a kiddo
- If you are an expecting family, QUARANTINE 14 days before the due date. It really sucked not being in there and I hope that any soon to be dads that are reading this think about quarantining so you can be there.
Finally, thank you to all of our friends and relatives that came to sit with me in the parking lot (Mike and Kristin). It really helped take my mind off the whole situation and not being able to be in there helping.
Our Parents, Shari, Tim & Donna for bringing us goodies and taking care of the dogs.
- Megan and Matt for bringing Ashley her favorite fast foods, Sarku Japan, all the way from Strongsville.
- Godfather Steve Mcdonnell for coming out and celebrating with me during my parking lot tailgate.
- And to everyone who called, texted, and messaged to check up on us. You all mean the world to us and we are truly blessed to have such an amazing support system in our life. Thank you all, from the bottom of our hearts.
Ok, two more photos before we go to bed,
Yah, our kid is pretty awesome.