My wife and I LOVE pizza, any kind of pizza, thin crust, thick crust, no crust it doesn’t matter as long as it is in the pizza family. With the exception of a few cheat days, this love for pizza has been temporarily put on hold for the last 3 months as we have been cutting carbs. Until tonight. We finally found a delicious recipe that is low carb and is reminiscent of the past when we used to devour an entire pie in 1 evening. Read on if you want to cut carbs while nom’ing on some pizza!
Disclosure, I am not a nutritionist by ANY stretch of the imagination. I simply took a recipe I found online, added the ingredients we used and typed it in this blog post to share with friends. Your carb counting may very depending on the ingredients you choose.
Also, sorry for the crappy photos, I didn’t plan on creating a blog post about this 🙂
Original post can be found here: https://www.recipe-diaries.com/fat-head-pizza-crust/
How is this different then other low carb options?
First and foremost this has been the closest thing to what I would call “real” pizza that we have been able to find. Atkins has a low carb option but it sits in the protein bar aisle in the pharmacy section and there is something about buying pizza off the room temp shelf that makes me cringe.
There are also a few options on the interwebs that use cauliflower as the base. I don’t hate cauliflower but we are far from being friends. If I have to eat it I will, but you wont find me running into the produce section to fill up my cart with white heads of joy.
These calculations are for the entire recipe, we simply divided the total amount of carbs at the end based on the number of slices.
1.5 Cups of Mozzarella (Calories: 480 Carbs: 6 Dietary Fiber: 0 )
2 tbs Cream Cheese (Calories: 90 Carbs: 2 Dietary Fiber: 0 )
1 Large Egg (Pulled from Google) (Calories: 78 Carbs: 0.6 Dietary Fiber: 0)
3/4 Cup Almond Flour (Calories: 400 Carbs: 16 Dietary Fiber: 8 )
15 Slices Pepperoni (Calories: 140 Carbs: 0 Fiber: 0)
1 Cup Mozzarella (Calories: 320 Carbs: 4 Fiber: 0)
1/2 Cup Mushrooms (Calories: 20 Carbs: 5 Fiber 3)
HOW TO MAKE FAT HEAD PIZZA CRUST
I feel like this dough could be used for a lot of different things. We are going to try to make garlic bread out of it as well as making breakfast pizzas!
This is a very sticky dough to work with. We used wax paper and that was full of fail. I don’t recommend that to anyone… Instead, make sure you are using something that the dough will not stick to or you can always spray your pan to make sure you are not pulling wax paper from your teeth.
- Pre-Heat Oven to 425 degrees
- Mix Mozzarella and Cream cheese in microwave safe bowl
- Put mixture into microwave for 1 minute
- Stir mixture and place in microwave for another 30 seconds
- Add in egg and almond flour, stir
- Spread your dough mixture onto a greased pan (thickness to your taste)
- Use a fork to poke holes into your crust
- Put your crust into oven for 8-10 minutes (make sure no bubbles appear in dough, if you notice bubbles are forming, simply pop them with your fork)
- Remove crust from oven and add your toppings
- Place in oven until cheese melts
- Make sure you spray your pan before you roll out the dough.
- Try the dough plain first and then maybe add garlic powder and other seasoning to taste.
- We would use fresh mozzarella next time to get a nice melt over the toppings.
- This makes about a 6″ to 8″ pizza. If you have a large appetite or you are feeding more then 2 people, you may want to double the recipe.
Final Nutrition Count for whole pizza
My wife and I each had half of the pizza so we just divided everything evenly.
We hope you like the pizza as much as we did! Let us know in the comments below if you give this recipe a try!